Cyclo® Bevel Buddybox® 5 Series Reducer
Right-Angle Spiral-Bevel Speed Reducers with Cyclo® or Planetary Reducer Inputs
Robust, state-of-the-art, spiral-bevel reducers, designed for keyed hollow-bore installations.
- All-Steel Internal Components
- Cost effective for keyed hollow-bore installations
- Highly Efficient
- Integrated Cycloidal Technology
- Maintenance-Free Options Available
|Input||Quill and C-face adapter|
|Output||Shrink Disc, Keyed Hollow Bore|
|Mounting||Hollow Shaft, Flange, U-Face (direct surface mount)|
|Sizes||4 frame sizes (Z-C), 25 to 412kg|
|Ratios||11:1 to 26,492:1 and greater|
|Power Ranges||1/8 to 60HP (0.10kW to 45kW)|
|Torque Capacity||45,492 lb-in (5,140 N·m)|
The Cyclo® BBB5 combines the strength and flexibility of the Cyclo® gear reducer and a single-stage right-angle spiral-bevel gearbox in a simple right-angle gearbox design. With a 24-month warranty, regardless of hours of operation, the Cyclo® BBB5 is an excellent choice for applications in material handling, packaging, conveyors, and other applications requiring right-angle speed reducers.
Features of the Cyclo® BBB5 Series
Do you have questions about the Cyclo® BBB5? Below are some of our most commonly asked questions, or you can view our Support area under Knowledge for more frequently asked questions and answers.
I don’t like the turnbuckle torque arms and sometimes have reversing applications they don’t work well for, do you have another option?
Yes, we have 6 different torque arm options to make your installation easy.
What if I need to change the backstop rotation?
No problem, your Sumitomo rep can assist with that, we can instruct you how, or you can send it to us to do.
I have a problem with backstops failing regularly and I need a solution for that.
The BBB has a different design once again when it comes to the backstop.
- Our backstop is at the high-speed shaft achieving lift off easily and not creating drag and wear on the spragues
- Our backstop being at the high-speed shaft sees the least amount of torque. The combination of the backstop ratings being higher, and seeing less torque, results in a long life
- Our backstop is maintenance-free (no lubrication maintenance) and is sealed off from the reducer protecting the reducer from the backstop and the backstop from the reducer. There is no unified lubrication system between the two.
Can I adjust the speed with a direct drive like I can with a belt drive?
Not by changing a sheave size since that component is eliminated, but there are things to consider…
- How often are you really changing the speed?
- The flexibility of changing a sheave size also puts your system at risk. Are you overspeeding beyond the reducer's capabilities? Are you slowing down too much and causing the backstop spragues to drag and wear?
If you are utilizing a VFD, that can control your speed.
- If you find out you truly need to change your speed, our BBB is the only direct drive on the market that has a Cyclo cartridge that could be changed to change your overall speed eliminating the need for a whole new reducer. Work with your Sumitomo rep to consider this.
My belts are my weak spot, what is the weak spot in a direct drive?
Our BBB (for typically 50hp and under depending on ratio) is designed for momentary high shock load – higher than any direct drive in the industry through utilizing our Cyclo technology. Another safeguard that can be put in place include the following:
- BBB’s are designed and sized where the motor would amp out before any damage would be done to the reducer
- Can adjust the motor heater for additional safety measures if desired
- A torque limiting or shear coupling could be used within the c-face adaptor as an additional safety measure if desired
I don’t have a very long shaft, can I still replace a belt drive with a direct drive?
Yes, if our standard Taper Grip Bushing requires more shaft than you have, we have a new Taper Grip Bushing option that needs an average of ½ the shaft length. When we size up the reducer you need, we can tell you how much shaft length you need for both options.
What should be some features or upgrades I should consider for the Aggregate, Sand and Cement industries?
Taconite Seals, Severe Duty or Desiccant Breather
How can I be sure that the reducer can withstand periodic excessive overloads?
Cyclo® BBB5 Speed Reducers provide 300% momentary intermittent shock load capacity. For applications with shock loads greater than 300%, consult a Sumitomo Application Engineer.
What do I do if my application has particularly severe operating conditions?
The standard ratings for Cyclo® BBB5 are based on 10-hour daily service under conditions of uniform loads (equivalent to AGMA service factor 1.0). By following the product selection process outlined in our catalog, you will determine and apply the Service Factors to compensate for the severe operating conditions. Sumitomo recommend our Cyclo® BBB4 product for extremely severe operating conditions, as it is a more robust right-angle gearbox design.