Sumitomo Concentric Gearboxes & Speed Reducers
Sumitomo Drive Technologies offers a complete lineup of high-quality concentric speed reducers and gearmotors, including the world-renowned Cyclo© Drive. Whether custom or off the shelf, we have a solution to meet your application needs.
What is a Concentric Gearbox?
A concentric gearbox is also known as an inline gearbox because the input and output shafts are aligned on the same axis. In other words, the shafts are concentric and run parallel to each other. Taking up less space than other gearboxes, concentric gearboxes are ideal for applications that require a compact, space-saving solution.
Definition and Design of Concentric Gearboxes
Concentric gearboxes typically consist of one or more sets of gears, with each set mounted on a common shaft. The gears in the gearbox transmit power and torque from the input shaft to the output shaft through meshing teeth. The input and output shafts are mounted on either end of the gearbox casing and are typically supported by bearings.
Advantages of Concentric Gearboxes
Concentric gearboxes offer several advantages, including:
- Space-saving design: As mentioned earlier, concentric gearboxes take up less space than other gearbox designs, making them ideal for applications with limited space.
- Low noise and vibration: The inline design of concentric gearboxes allows for smooth operation, resulting in low noise and vibration levels.
- High efficiency: Concentric gearboxes typically have high levels of efficiency, meaning less energy is lost during operation.
- Low maintenance: The simple design of concentric gearboxes means that they require less maintenance than other types of gearboxes.
Disadvantages of Concentric Gearboxes
Concentric gearboxes do have some disadvantages, including:
- Limited torque capacity: Concentric gearboxes have a lower torque capacity than other gearbox designs and may not be suitable for high-torque applications.
- Limited speed range: Concentric gearboxes may not be suitable for high-speed applications, as they are more prone to heat buildup and wear at high speeds.
- Limited gear ratio range: The gear ratio range of concentric gearboxes may be limited due to the inline design.
Sumitomo Concentric/Inline Gear Drive Options
Why Choose Sumitomo Concentric Gearboxes?
If you are looking for a high-quality, reliable concentric gearbox, Sumitomo has a range of solutions to meet your needs. With over 100 years of experience in the industry, Sumitomo is a trusted manufacturer of gearmotors, offering a range of concentric gearbox options suitable for a wide range of industrial applications. Choose Sumitomo for quality, reliability, and performance.